AURORA SUMMER FILMMAKING CAMPS 2021
Registration is now open for Aurora Picture Show's in-person Summer 2021 Filmmaking Camps for ages 7-15
For more than a decade, Aurora has presented kids with the opportunity to see, learn about, and make movies. While last summer’s youth programs had to be done entirely online, we’re excited to announce the return of Aurora’s ever-popular, in-person filmmaking camps, to be held at our own indoor-outdoor space at 2442 Bartlett Street near Kirby Drive.
This summer, Aurora is offering week-long, hands-on camps for kids ages 7-11 and 12-15. Our instructors will show a variety of films from our media library, teach the basics of both traditional and experimental moviemaking, encourage creative thinking, and facilitate collaboration. Participants will be guided through developing, shooting, and editing digital short films. One Advanced Camp (Camp 7) has been designed for kids 12-15 who have previously attended at least one Aurora camp and are especially motivated to learn more about video editing and visual effects. In August, a festival program of camp film projects will be streamed on our website.
Aurora has given a lot of consideration to safety at the 2021 camps. All instructors and participants will be required to wear masks, and we’ve slightly reconfigured the curriculum, capacity, process, physical space, and cleaning protocols to ensure a safe and comfortable environment. See information, requirements, and registration links below. This page also has information about applying for need-based scholarships. If you have any further questions, or would like to be put on the waiting list for a camp that is capacity, please email us.
AURORA SUMMER FILMMAKING CAMPS 2021
Ages 7-11 (Reduced capacity: 8 participants per camp)
CAMP 1 June 21-25, 2021 SOLD OUT
CAMP 2 July 12-16, 2021
CAMP 3 July 19-23, 2021
CAMP 4 August 2-6, 2021
Ages 12-15 (Reduced capacity: 8 participants per camp)
CAMP 5 June 28-Jul 2, 2021
CAMP 6 July 26-30, 2021
CAMP 7 August 9-13, 2021 SOLD OUT
Camp 7 is our advanced camp, and requires previous camp attendance.
Each camp is one week, Monday–Friday, 9am-3pm. All camps are held at Aurora Picture Show – 2442 Bartlett Street, Houston, TX 77098, two blocks east of Kirby Drive.
Links for camp registration are in the schedule above. The cost per camp is $350 / $295 for Aurora Picture Show members (Members please log in to your account to receive your discount). A 75% refund of the tuition cost will be provided if the cancellation is received at least 10 days before the camp starts. Without 10 days notice, total tuition is forfeited.
Aurora offers need-based scholarships for students ages 7-11 (Camp 3) and ages 12-15 (Camps 5 & 6). To apply please fill out this form before May 31, 2021. We will be notifying applicants in early June.
2021 Aurora camps will be following recommended health and safety guidelines, including but not limited to the following:
* All Aurora staff has been fully vaccinated
* Camps will have a reduced capacity of 66% (8 participants total)
* Both Aurora staff and campers will be required to wear masks.
* Social distancing will be enforced during all activities in accordance with CDC guidelines
* The facility and all equipment will be regularly disinfected.
* Hand sanitizer will available for regular use by staff and campers
* Coordinated drive-thru drop-off and pick-up, with access to the building limited to campers and Aurora staff
* Temperature monitoring for all staff and campers before entrance. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher will not be allowed to enter and may return only with a doctor’s release.
* Lunch will be eaten outside, or in the case of inclement weather, a well-ventilated space.