Aurora Picture Show Opportunities
Aurora Picture Show is currently seeking applications for the following positions:
- Communications and Development Associate
- Media Arts Educator (Hourly Contract Position)
- Internship (Unpaid Position)
Position: Communications and Development Associate
The Communications and Development Associate is responsible for the implementation and evaluation of organizational marketing and communication strategies, management of the membership program, maintaining and managing relationships with corporate sponsors, as well as activities relating to donor relations including fundraising and recognition events.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
This is a full-time exempt position reporting to the Executive Director.
4 full days a week plus night and weekend hours.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the creation and implementation of strategies related to digital content including e-correspondence for key constituencies, social media presence, all website content and online marketing.
- Working with the curator and outside graphic designer, responsible for all print marketing including ads and direct mail pieces such as the quarterly calendar and event invitations.
- Responsible for media relations including cultivating relationships with the local media and creating and distributing press releases for programs.
- Identify, secure and cultivate corporate sponsors and underwriters for programs as needed. Track and acknowledge all in-kind giving.
- Responsible for ongoing evaluation of marketing strategies.
MEMBERSHIP, DONOR RELATIONS AND FUNDRAISING
- Responsible for management of the membership program
- Responsible of the management and upkeep of the donor/member database
- Assists Executive Director with year-round donor stewardship activities
- Assists other members of the Aurora staff with management of all fundraising events such as the annual Aurora Award dinner and holiday party.
- Responsible for the creation and management of member/donor cultivation and recognition events.
- BA/BS or equivalent degree required
- 1 to 2 years professional experience in a nonprofit arts organization and a general appreciation of experimental film and/or contemporary art preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skill
- Knowledge of or professional experience with social media
- Willing to work Aurora programming as needed
- Experience with email marketing systems such as Constant Contact or Mail Chimp.
- Experience with maintaining donor databases such as E-tapestry.
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office, basic understanding of Photoshop and HTML and ability to create and edit graphics for web and email. Knowledge of InDesign, FinalCut and Premiere preferred
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
How to apply:
Position open until filled. Send cover letter with resume/cv and 3 professional references to Stauder@aurorapictureshow.org.
Position: Aurora Picture Show Media Arts Educator
Applications accepted year-round
Aurora Picture Show is looking for media art/film educators who can teach a diverse set of media literacy workshops and classes in the community. These lessons will be developed with Aurora Picture Show in conjunction with our mission of promoting the understanding and appreciation of moving image art. Instructors should have an interest in experimental and non-traditional video art. Employment is part-time, typically a few hours each week at various locations throughout Houston and surrounding communities. Each opportunity is unique and flexible applicants will have the best opportunity to work on a regular basis. The pay is variable and ranges from flat rates for a multi-hour visit in one day to an hourly rate for a lead teacher or an assistant teacher. In addition to teaching, lead teachers will also be responsible for preparing lessons, responding to student work, and organizing final copies of works created for class. We are looking for media artists and filmmakers with teaching or mentoring experience who can convey their passion for the film and video in ways that are relevant for Houston area children. Experience in other kinds of lens-based work instruction will also apply. Bilingual speaking is a plus, but not required. Assistant teachers are also needed, who might have less experience in education but have experience in the field and an interest in growing and developing into this area by providing support to lead instructors. Position reports to Media Arts Education Manager.
Aurora Picture Show Media Arts Educator Responsibilities:
- Prepare creative filmmaking lessons focusing on the creative process, incorporating social issues or school lessons, and creating films that are inspiring, relevant, and appropriate
- Provide verbal feedback to students on their filmmaking
- Attend training events with Aurora Picture Show
- Keep track of student work and submit it to Aurora staff as requested for displays, online and print publication, etc.
- Reflect on and evaluate your residency
- A love and enthusiasm for filmmaking and a desire to teach students the creative process
- Teaching or mentoring experience preferred
- Interest in collaborating with public school teachers
- Excellent communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- All candidates must pass a criminal background check
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in teaching with Aurora Picture Show, please submit a cover letter, résumé, with an online link of samples of your work:
Submit all materials to:
Media Arts Education Manager
Applications are accepted year-round.
Position: Internship (Unpaid)
Ongoing Deadline for Spring, Summer and Fall Semesters
Approximate Semester Schedule
SPRING: 1/15 to 4/30
SUMMER: 5/1 to 8/31
FALL: 9/1-12/ 15
The Aurora Picture Show Internship Program provides students with a bridge between studying media arts as a student and working in media arts field as a professional, by providing hands-on experience within a well-established media art organization. Interns gain insight into the national and international world of new media art, along with basic administrative skills useful in any professional position. Interns at Aurora are involved in: basic operations of arts management (data entry and office errands), programming (screening film submissions), community outreach, fundraising, publicity (press outreach and press clippings), and social events (providing hospitality to filmmakers and screening operations). Though internships are unpaid*, an internship with Aurora is valuable and fun. Aurora prides itself on not only providing experience, but also creating a supportive environment where successful interns are rewarded and encouraged into roles beyond their time at Aurora. Past interns have made strong connections through our network of supporters, which have lead to employment.
All interested individuals are eligible to apply for an internship. We seek out interns with the following qualities:
• Understand the Aurora mission and objectives
• Eager to learn
• Understand the many levels of responsibilities that come with a non-profit
• Strong organizational skills
• Have an interest in developing their experience into a professional path
• Some positions may require college, graduate training or professional experience
Interns should be able to work a minimum of 12 hours a week. The exact schedule will be determined in advance with staff. Interns should be able to work a minimum of three months. Majority of hours are in the office during the week, but weekend event support is also required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete our application
, which can be found under in the Education section of the website. Attach a resume outlining your educational background and past work experience along with a short essay or cover letter indicating why you chose to apply for an internship at Aurora. Also, per the application, please make sure to include contact details for three references from professors or previous/present employers.
* mileage is reimbursed if your car is required for errands
Submit all materials to:
Or mail all materials together in one envelope to:
Aurora Picture Show
2442 Barttett St
Houton TX, 77098